Given at Divisional Meeting 17 November 2018
Rt Ill Intendant General, Worthy Knights All,
I now report on the General Purposes committee meeting which was held on Thursday 5th July 2018 at the home of our Divisional Treasurer Ill. Kt. Peter Paige in Woodhall Spa for which we sincerely thank him, not only for hosting the event, but also for providing an excellent buffet lunch.
The minutes of the previous meeting held on the 6th July 2017 were agreed. Matters arising therefrom were:
1. A new ‘tri-fold’ leaflet to be used to recruit new members had been circulated to Conclaves by the Divisional Recorder, together with a leaflet for recruiting members of the Sepulchre Guard. These would also be placed on the Divisional website.
2. The Intendant-General had written to Past Sovereigns to inform them that they were eligible to join the Viceroy Conclave.
3. No nominations had been put forward from Lincolnshire this year for membership of the Grand Sepulchre Guard.
Ill Kt. Peter Paige, the Divisional Treasurer then gave a comprehensive interim report and statement of the accounts of the Lincolnshire Division and thanks must be accorded to him for his continued ‘shrewd’ stewardship of our finances. I am sure that you will be pleased to receive his report along with his recommendations shortly and concur with me that he continues to be an asset to Lincolnshire Division. In giving his interim report to the GP committee he expressed some concern at the cost of entertaining at Divisional meetings and this would be looked at and reviewed although it was a burden faced by all Divisions up and down the Country. He referred to the poor condition of the ceremonial swords used by the Divisional officers and it was agreed that better quality swords should be purchased and that the scabbards should be ‘red’ as specified for officers of Grand Conclave. Discussion then ensued around the Charity collections made at Divisional meetings and it was agreed by the GP committee that for the time being, local charities should be the beneficiaries.
As is normal, the major part of the General Purposes meeting was taken up with discussion to determine the recommendations for the various Divisional appointments and promotions for 2018 - 2019 and these were duly passed to our IG for his consideration and approval. On behalf of the committee I congratulate all those who are shortly to receive those well-deserved appointments and promotions.
Under ‘Any Other Business’ various matters were raised:
1. The Divisional Recorder reported that copies of the newly introduced Lincolnshire Red Cross Yearbook prepared by the Div. Assist. Recorder had been delivered to all Conclaves. Lengthy discussion took place regarding the need to continue with this publication, given the fact that most of the content was readily available through other resources or the Divisional website. Consequently, feedback is currently being sought from Conclaves before any final decision is made whether to pursue the Handbook in the future.
2. The Divisional Recorder presented a specimen certificate, like those presented by many Divisions to each Divisional Officer on their appointment. After discussion it was generally felt that these certificates, although a nice touch, were unnecessary and added additional time and financial burden in producing them. All officers already received a ‘letter of appointment’ and this was felt to be enough.
3. The Divisional Recorder raised the issue, on behalf of the Intendant-General, of buying ‘Pop-Up’ banners advertising the Order, to be displayed at Masonic Centres. These cost £60.00 each and had achieved some success for other Orders. Concerns were expressed regarding how they would be managed around the District and stored. It was decided not to pursue this as it was felt the personal approach always worked best.
4. Salutations at Divisional Meetings. There had recently been a misunderstanding regarding the correct method and order of salutations and general procedures to be adopted at Divisional meetings. The Divisional Marshal was therefore tasked to write out a procedure and circulate to the GP committee for approval.
5. Ladies’ Festival 2019. The Divisional Recorder reported that the next Divisional Ladies’ Festival would be held at the Dower House Woodhall Spa on Friday 14 June 2019. The Chairman took the opportunity to thank the Recorder for organising such a successful event in June 2018, one of the largest gatherings in recent years
There being no other business to transact, the meeting was duly closed at 1.30pm.
Rt Ill Intendant General, Worthy Knights All - the report of the General Purposes Committee.
Ill. Kt. Barry J. Humphrey, BEM, P.G.Chamb.